Wednesday, November 23, 2005

What I'm thankful for...

Man this could get long.
First I'm thankful for God and my savior Jesus Christ. Why God would ever use someone like me goes way beyond my understanding. I fail my Lord so many times He has to be up there slapping his head.
I'm thankful for my wife of 17 years. She has had to put up with me and my wild ideas for a long time. While we have had our disagreements, I always knew she still loved me (even when she threw my stuff) and for some reason she still loves me. I didn't think I would ever get the pretty girl, but I sure did!
I am thankful for my dad, who has been with the Lord for a few years now. He was my idol and later in my life, my friend. I miss talking to him and gleaning his wisdom. He was the first one to take me to church and his fear of God was ever present. His humor was unique and there was usually laughter in our home. God really blessed me with such a great father. He wasn't perfect, and I had to watch as lung cancer slowly killed him. He had made some bad choices in his life, but in the end he made the best choice, accepting God's grace.
I am thankful for my mother, who always has been tough when she needed to be and also had a sense of humor. Many nights she was by herself when Dad worked out of town. When Dad got hurt and couldn't work, she picked up the slack. She put up with Dad and stayed with him during a tough time in their relationship. She always wanted a big family and a big house, something you don't hear women say much anymore. She became a Christian while I was a child and always made sure I was in church. My morals and attitudes come from her. She is a special lady.
I am thankful for my brothers and sisters, two of each. It was fun growing up with them and watching them grow. We are a very close group, something else you don't see a lot of. Now this group has turned out brother and sister in laws, nephews and nieces. All of which bring me joy and lots of laughs. I am blessed with a great family.
I am thankful for some great friends, all of whom I know I can count on no matter what. They have been very special to me and they can make me laugh until my head hurts.
I am thankful for my in-laws. I'm sure at times they have shook their heads at some of my stunts, but they always let us feel our way through things. They are wonderful grandparents and I try to seek their wisdom when I can.
I am thankful for my sons. I remember becoming a father for the first time and thinking about the awesome responsibility that God had given me. My boys are growing faster than I would like and I know my time with them is limited. They have been a joy to me and I can't help feeling very proud of them. I am told by many people how well behaved and smart they are, I have to say more like their mother than their dad.
I am thankful for everything that God has blessed me with, far more than I deserve. A good job, a nice home, and my new addition, a shop! It doesn't get any better than that!
I am thankful for my church, my brothers and sisters in Christ, and my pastors and leadership team. When I married my wife I gained a church home. God knows what He's doing.
Finally I'm thankful for life. There is a lot of things in this world I don't like. I hate the direction we are headed as a country when I see God being removed from every part of our culture. We have become too smart and too wealthy as a people to remember our humble beginnings and who we owe for our prosperity. No matter how bad it gets however, I am thankful I am right here, right now. I am able to walk and get around and besides being a tad overweight I'm in pretty good shape for a guy knocking on the old 40 door.
I am a blessed man.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. You brought tears to my eyes. I am so proud of the man you've become. I am very thankful for you and the knowledge that you always have and always will be there if/when I need you. Love you, Bubby! -- Lori

Anonymous said...

I couldn't have said it better myself! I thought I was the mushy one! -k.j.

Brian said...

I thought Jimmy was the mushy one?