Tuesday, November 01, 2005

The Mega Church

Brian an I were excited.
Our friend Wade was getting married at Willow Creek church in Barrington. At that time one of the largest churches in North America. We were in the wedding party.
Just the wedding chapel could hold the population of my small town and I was in awe.
The pastor doing the service asked us if we would like to see the main sanctuary. I couldn't wait to see it. It was just huge. I remember seeing phones on the first row chairs, I assumed were for communicating back to the A-V area.
Brian was not impressed.
"I thought it would be bigger".
Several years later Brian and I went to a seminar held at Willow Creek with other leaders from our denomination. I had heard they built a new sanctuary and again I was eager to see it. It did not disappoint. It was twice as grand as the first one. When we walked into the church it reminded me of an airport. Tons of people, multi-storied, food courts. Just amazing, simply amazing. They even had a kiosk. Whoever heard of a kiosk in a church?
Now I know your waiting for me to bash the "mega church", and I do have a couple of issues with it. But not what you might expect.
I think some people dislike them because of simple jealousy, it's so beautiful it is hard not to be envious, but is that a good reason to put them down?
And just think what good they can do with that many resources, the impact they can have in the community and in the world. That's a lot of good things.
What put a little damper on my warm feelings was looking at all the pastors at the seminar with their Willow Creek packets, eager to soak up everything and anything of value so they can be a mega church too. I mean if it worked for Bill why won't it work for me?
I could imagine them going back to their home church, busting with excitement. He springs it on his church, they buy it and then WHAM. He falls on his face.
Now this pastor is crushed. What went wrong? He begins to doubt his abilities. Maybe he's not the man the church needs. Do you see where I'm going with this?
What Willow Creek and other mega's do is great, but that does not mean that pastors in smaller churches across the country and around the world are not doing great things. Don't judge your ministry on size. Base it on the spiritual growth of your flock. Are they becoming spiritual "adults" or are they stuck in spiritual infancy.
The only other trouble I have is the bigger the machine, the more fuel it requires. Where does the fuel come from? I would be interested to know the percentage of new converts at Willow Creek against the percentage of people who left smaller churches in the area to join Willow Creek. Is it true numerical growth, or just shifting people from smaller churches to larger churches than can offer more of everything. I'm just curious.
Make no mistake, I have a lot of respect for the mega's. They have done some great things in Christ's name. I wish them continued success and prosperity.
But I also wish the average pastor of his small church the same thing.

No comments: