Wednesday, November 16, 2005

My youth group, leader lesson mini-sized

Somebody was going to get wet.
In my quest to find an activity for my Jr.-Sr. High youth group I came across this little game which would be fun for the youth and, more importantly, entertaining for the leader. I split the group into two groups, boys vs girls. Each group had to lay on their backs in a circle with their feet in the air, their heals touching the person on each side of them. With their feet forming a platform, I placed a small bucket of water on the bottom of their feet and instructed them, one at a time, to take one shoe off and then the other shoe. The object was for the rest of the group to keep the water from spilling while each person removed a shoe.
Got it?
Well it was a lot of fun, I laughed so hard my head hurt and of course people got wet. But something that happened during the game got me thinking.
One group (I won't tell you which one) seemed very afraid of getting wet. As shoes were being removed the bucket began to slosh water, panic ensued, and the group members bailed out leaving everyone to fend for themselves. The bucket spilled it's entire contents and people got wet.
The other group had a much better experience. The water was placed on their feet and it did slosh a little water out as shoes were being removed. But the pail didn't spill.
Why?
The second group had a leader, someone who had taken charge, coached and encouraged the group not to give up and to work together.
I found true leadership in a simple game. Even at the risk of getting wet, the leader didn't yell, panic, or blame the team. The leader knew the objective, got the team to the goal and didn't brag or swagger. It was a team effort.
Many leaders try to push their agenda down the throats of the people their suppose to be leading. Maybe sometimes it works, but I submit it rarely does. What happens most of the time is they leave a trail of destruction in their wake. They become frustrated, the people become frustrated, and bad things happen.
The lesson I learned in that silly game is that, as leaders, we need to sell the vision to the people we lead. We need to encourage and coach, not get mad when things don't move at the speed we would like. People are watching us all the time. We cannot panic or blame others when things go bad and we shouldn't brag and take all the credit when we have positive moments. We can do so much more when we work together than we can do when we try to do it alone.
If we don't work together, we are going to get wet.

No comments: