Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Haiti Question

Why help?
Paul Shirley, ex NBA basketball player asks that very question. He sees Haiti in the same way he looks at a homeless man. Paul reasons that Haiti, just like a homeless man would not handle the gift he would give with any responsibility. He wouldn't really change; he would just spend the money on booze or something so why help at all?
And if I may be cynical for a moment, I’m sure as with most countries when millions flood into the country somebody is probably filling their pockets.
It’s an old game. We don’t have to look at Haiti to see that, we have that going on in our government, our places of employment, and sometimes it happens in churches.
Grab what you can get and if somebody else suffers, to bad for them.
What is really convenient for those who refuse to help because they see a wasted dollar spent really can ease their conscience. They will just waste it anyway.
And to be honest, I’ve past beggars by. Many that I see are young and healthy looking, at least healthy enough to have a job. Would they buy drugs or booze with my cash?
But in Haiti we are talking about something different. Contrary to what my brother Pat Robertson has said, the people of Haiti didn’t ask for this earthquake. If being bad or doing a stupid thing caused earthquakes, our entire nation wouldn’t stop shaking.
Yes they are a poor nation, yes perhaps corruption has led to them to ruin, and yes maybe they will never get it right. Jesus told us the poor will always be with us.
But that didn’t stop Jesus from helping.
In fact, let’s take it deeper. Imagine Jesus and God having a discussion.
God: I want you to leave your nice home here, become a man that will feel all the pain and misery a man will experience, have friends that will doubt you and finally be beaten and die for the very same people that are hurting you.
Jesus: Do what?!?
God: You heard me, I know it makes no sense, but I love my creation that much.
Jesus: Okay, a gift of eternal life. You’re going to give that gift away to people who will reject it, abuse it and ignore it. They are going to deny who I am and curse you. Surely you can find something better to do with a gift like that. They will just waste it! They will spend some much time worried about themselves that they will never follow you wholeheartedly.
God: I know, but I’m crazy in love with my creation.
This discussion is fictional of course, because Jesus knew all of these things and yet still suffered and died for us.
I’m glad God didn’t see us like Paul Shirley sees Haiti, a waste of time and money.
Many churches are on the ground in Haiti, but they have been there before the earthquake and they will be there long after the quake situation is over.
Because that is the example God has shown us,
And that is what He has called us to do.

No comments: