Monday, March 29, 2010

New Life

Not a care in the world.
I looked at my new nephew lying under a heat lamp (it was a lot more complicated than just a bulb). His birth occurring just a couple of hours before.
New life, a blank slate, a life filled with opportunity and hope for the future.
This reminds me of the new life that each of us have in Christ.
We celebrate Easter because it is in His rising from the grave, defeating death do we have new life.
Like little Drew, our new lives are filled with promise, hope for the future, but it also a life of skinned knees and broken hearts.
As much as Mom and Dad will do everything to prevent Drew from hurting, it will happen. And like most kids we Christians sometimes will stick our fingers in the electric outlet, finding out what happens to us when we ignore God's warnings about straying too far from Him.
But when the hurt happens Mom will be there, my Mom was there for me when I skinned myself up (shoot my sister was there for me in my 20's when I would come home skinned up from sliding into bases playing softball).
Like Mom, God has been there when I hurt, when I messed up or when my heart was broke. As I look back at my life God has always been there. I didn't always see it then, but I do now.
Perhaps we should look at our new life in a way that would honor our Father in heaven. Maybe we could see our new life as a clean slate, letting God draw something beautiful upon it. The only thing that holds us back is ourselves.
So this Easter as we think about the price that God gave to purchase us, the wonderful gift of new life, may we become what God wants our life to be.
That would be a life pleasing to Him.

No comments: