Thursday, August 31, 2006

Is restoration possible?

I've been reading the Emerging CGGC blog (emergingcggc.blogspot.com) and boy does my head hurt.
If you want to see some very forward thinking by some very bright people within our denomination, check it out. You may not agree with everything, but it will make you think (thus the reason for my headache).
As you have probably been able to pick up from one of my blog entries, my church is at a crossroads.
And I'm happy to report that the elders and pastors got together and had some serious and frank discussions about where we are as a church.
One of our elders (we will call him "Ed") asked a great question.
"What would we be doing if we were planting or starting a new church?"
That question really struck me, since I happen to know a couple of church planters. Now I know nothing about planting a church, wouldn't know how to even begin. But it did get me thinking about traditions and how we do church.
Anyway back to the Emerging blog, I came across this from the blog entry "What kinds of churches are we planting?". The author of this is a talented church planter named Steve Sjogren and it's from his newsletter;
If personally watched for a number of years a very gifted, nationally known pastors, speaker and author in the 70s (I know you weren't born yet) try to reverse the trend of his Southern California denominational church and renew it to see the Spirit of God fill his church with newness, a sense of expectation each week, etc. I watched him work tirelessly week after week. When I arrived on the scene of his weekly services, he had been tireless working away at renewing his congregation for over a decade. It was obvious to me as a rather intuitive person that his people resistant to the message of walking in a life of the ullness of the Spirit, of giving their lives away to others, of being inviters. It was heartbreaking. After seeing this patter up close over a prolonged period of time I made a couple of good, long-term decisions: 1. It would be a waste of a good life to devote myself, my ministry call and strength to that approach considering my desire to see change come upon a congregation (Im not wired for a snails pace change over decades of ministry), and 2. That the idea of renewing a congregation was debatable if it was really possible both according to church historical observation and the teaching of scripture (namely Jesus teaching about the message of the new wine needing a new wineskin that just makes sense and of course it is inspired scripture).
I understand Steve's heart, the task before us seems kind of like digging a hole through a mountain with a teaspoon.
Why pound your head against a wall for a church that doesn't want to move in a new direction?
I have to believe that God is in the restoration business, He does it time and time again. I also know that restoration comes only when the people repent. That means change.
So it comes to this, and it's pretty simple.
1. We continue on the way we are. We will survive for years, but with a diminished staff, and a much smaller missionary budget. The attendance will continue to slip slowly, and there will be little life.
2. We change, and really I'm not sure what that will mean. We will have to stop talking about dollars and talk more about people. We will have to identify the needs in our community and address them. It's not a lot, but it would be a start.
What will really scare some people is that option 2 won't help the churches perceived money problems, in fact it may make them worse.
I have looked around at other churches, and I find we are not the only church at a crossroads, that many have turned cold. What does the future hold for them?
David Miller commented that "at least we see the crossroads" and he's right. I'm thankful for pastors and elders that know something just isn't right. The biggest challenge for us will be to lead the people.
And it's very possible they will decide not to be led anywhere.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Interesting post on expectations on Seth Godin's blog. He's a business guy not a church guy, but I thought it was provoking.
http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2006/08/whats_expected.html