Friday, August 11, 2006

In the garden

It had gotten way out of hand.
I kept looking at my green bean row, and I didn't like what I saw.
Because of a major weed problem, it was hard to see the beans.
So I put on my bib overalls and decided it was time to weed the garden. Fortunately it was just one row, but bending over pulling huge weeds out, while protecting the bean plants I wanted to keep, was a major time consuming deal.
As I sweated and pulled the stubborn green enemy I thought to myself; man I wish I had done this sooner.
I had to ask myself; why did you let this get in this condition?
I had no excuse, I had walked by the garden several times and saw the mess, but I always had thought, I'll get it later.
Later finally came.
So while I was sweating it came to me, at times my life had gotten the same way.
Things that we shouldn't let get going in our lives begin to flourish, they began to crowd our lives. We know we should do things different, but yet we refuse to really deal with the core issues. So over time we let things take root, and before long our lives get in a mess.
I don't think it ever sneaks up on us, slowly over time we let this go, we let that go. We notice it once and awhile, but really don't want to put out the effort to change it.
I think it's good that we take an honest look at ourselves from time to time. What has gotten in the way of living like we should? Have we let our guard down and allowed things to take hold of us that shouldn't be there?
It was hard work making my beans look better. It will take much more work to be the Christian God wants me to be.
But it is always worth the effort.

No comments: