Friday, March 24, 2006

Your gonna, and you do, but you may not realize it

You will worship.
Now you may be reading this and think, "I don't worship anything or anybody".
But your wrong.
I never really thought about it until I read the "Purpose driven life". The part where it says we are created to worship.
You know I really had not looked at worship that way.
I don't know how your day starts, but mine starts with a 35-40 minute commute, and I see all of you Earnhardt people. I don't think a day goes by that I don't see a number "3" on the back of somebody's windshield (also I think I have seen Calvin pee on everything that a kid can pee on). You may not think you worship the man, but I think several worship his memory.
The more I thought about it, even good Christian people worship things besides Christ, take me for instance. I have composed a list of the things I worship;
The LA Dodgers (I have enough Dodgers stuff to make a Giants fan go into a rage).
My shop (it's really cool, concrete floor and everything).
The TV (where I spend way way way to much time).
My Kubota (bigger than a garden tractor).
The Green Bay Packers (only when their winning).
Honda Ridgeline (I don't even have one of those, but man they are so cool).
The old Dodge Chargers (see old blog on that one).
My money (I don't have a great deal of this, but I can tie up what I do have in more cool stuff).
Naval history (I have enough books on this subject to start my own library).
My computer (spend way to much time playing games that make the free world safe from any possible threats).
And that's just the short list.
Now I have poked a little fun at myself, but if we are really honest with ourselves we can find all kinds of things that we chase after, cheer for, and well, worship and since God created us to do that, we are only doing what comes natural.
But here is the problem, our God is a jealous God.
Now I'm not saying that we shouldn't have hobbies or other interests, but we have to be careful that these things don't become our gods.
Even our own children can become our objects of worship.
It brings us back to our need for Christ and His grace, because as I am a blaring example, we are not a perfect people. Having said that however we do need to take a serious look at what or who we worship. I remember Christ telling His would be followers that the cost of following Him would be high. It would mean to follow and worship Him only. For some the cost was simply to high.
I have heard it said that you can tell what or who a person worships by looking at their checkbook and by looking at how they spend their time.
We might find that the person we worship the most is...ourselves.

No comments: