Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Keep on keeping on

I had forgotten I had it.
In 2000 a brother in Christ had given me a devotional, it was neat, but I had packed it away into one of the many piles of books I have.
Being the new year I thought I would try to get myself back into some serious devotions.
Why had I stopped?
Well that is an interesting question.
Before my father passed away I was doing a devotional, keeping a spiritual journal, and even walking on a treadmill!!
And then my world crashed, my Dad died.
This may sound weird but even the town seemed like a different place because he was not in it anymore.
I know this may seem like a strange reason to stop doing devotions, I wasn't mad at God, my Dad had made the bad choices. It just seemed like my stride had been broken.
This brings us to today.
Being the new year I thought it was time to get back into it. Some serious time into God's word and some serious prayer time.
I opened my 6 year old devotional and guess what the first topic was about.
Perseverance.
You know, going strong even when the tough times come. Working even when the end is no where in sight.
Paul likened our journey to a race, a really long race. Which got me thinking.
I hate to run.
Running long distances is not my thing. When I was younger I would have much rather run the 50 yard dash instead of a long distance run. Face it, running a long race takes endurance, endurance comes from running, did I mention I hate to run?
You see if we are going to run in this race called life, and run it in a way that reflects Christ, it will take endurance. It will take training our hearts and minds to think in a new way, it means devoting time to our Savior and His words. Only then can we be prepared to handle all the stuff that gets thrown at us while we are running on the track.
But it means taking the time. Personal study, prayer and corporate worship are the means by which we gain endurance. We have to make these things our number one priority, even when we lose our stride, even when we just don't feel like it. We will have rest one day, but until then we must keep training.
So I have committed myself to get back into the word everyday and spend some serious one on one time with God everyday. I have to say it has made a difference already.
Now if I can just get back on the treadmill...

No comments: