Monday, August 17, 2009

Transitions.

I was nervous for them.
I'm usually not very nervous before I preach. God simply wired me weird, it doesn't bother me. This morning however was different.
My young people, two of my own boys and three others whom I have gotten to know and appreciate were going to play their instruments and sing before the church.
I was so nervous that I put the wrong license plate renewal sticker on the wrong car (don't let them tell you that you can't get the sticker off once you put it on, I did) that morning.
The story starts a lot earlier in the year when I opened the church to these guitar and drum playing young people. I didn't have a clue. I couldn't help them because I didn't know what I was doing. I needed help.
I called Brian, his church has a band. Brian could play guitar, and he loves working with young people. Could he come down and listen, perhaps give them some pointers?
Of course Brian came and before long that evening I actually heard music. I knew that Brian couldn't come down every week, so would he be willing to help if I brought the group to Mattoon?
Brian graciously said that he would. Our first trip to Mattoon told me something about Matt, Aaron, Bryce, Caleb and Justin.
They could do it.
I met Jeremy who can play just about everything (and really enjoyed showing the guys stuff) who had the guys attention. Brian and Jer showed them how to play the song. My guys listened.
What I noticed instantly was how well the listened. Aaron struggled at first with what Jer showed him, but it wasn't long before it sounded good. Justin listened as Danelle showed him how to play chords on a keyboard. Brian worked with Matt on the rhythm guitar and vocals. Jer really shined when showing Bryce and Caleb some guitar riffs. I think they both were awestruck.
In fact Bryce sat down on his amp (which he does a lot) and kept practicing. I don't think my guys wanted to leave.
Fast forward, and a few more trips to Mattoon, meeting and practicing at the church, bringing Pastor Kenny in to help with some traditional songs as well as keeping us from blowing people away by being to loud. Katie showed up one night to listen to the guys practice. I put her behind a microphone. It worked.
Finally Pastor Kenny declared they were ready. How far they had come.
And when the day arrived for them to lead the worship, I was nervous. Would they hit the notes and chords? How would the church receive them?
It was great.
It was more than great, the church loved it. I loved it.
All of that to say this. When a church takes a step in a different direction, there is a transition. That scares some church goers because it means change. Sometimes change brings friction. Through this I learned some valuable lessons.
Take small steps.
Stay positive.
Build excitement.
Do it well.
Get help from people who have been there.
Well now the challenge for us is doing it again, because it went so well.
"Brian, have you got a Tuesday night free?"

No comments: