Friday, March 23, 2007

The Journey

I love vacations.
When I was growing up, my family never really took a vacation. My father worked out of town a lot so the last thing he wanted to do on his vacation, was to travel.
When we did go somewhere, it was Wisconsin (so he could deer hunt) to stay with a dairy farmer that he had become friends with. While dad hunted, I learned lots about milking cows and spreading cow manure on fields (note, never sit on the fender of a tractor when spreading manure).
When I got married, my in laws traveled to San Antonio and took me along. I had never been that far away for fun.
I was hooked.
One of the things about vacation that I really like is when I travel with my family and that includes brothers and sisters, brother and sister in laws, mom and in laws.
I wouldn't even mind my friends going with me.
Why?
The journey is more fun when we bring someone else along.
I loved it when my brothers experienced North Myrtle Beach for the first time, when we were able to take my Dad to the ocean, when most of my family went on a cruise.
I love being on a journey with people.
It isn't any different with our journey with Christ. It should be an adventure that we want to bring others along to experience. Maybe we've looked at reaching people in the wrong light. Maybe we should want people to travel with us on the only trip that will matter, to see the love of Christ, to experience true community.
I'm afraid many of our churches want to travel alone. There not having any fun on the journey, (or at least they sure don't act like their having any fun) and they don't want anyone else to have fun either.
Sure the journey hits some rough roads, heck I was in North Myrtle when a hurricane hit and we had to evacuate, but I sure like to be with people who care about me when the storms hit.
Are we asking people to join us on our journey?
Tough question, but perhaps if we look at life as a journey (and it is) maybe we won't find it as hard to ask people to travel with us.
Show them that life is better when you have company.

No comments: