Friday, October 28, 2005

Welcome to my Blog

Wow my first post. Brian would be very proud of me. I want to introduce to you who I am. My name is Tom, I have a lovely (and patient) wife Marsha, and two great sons, Matt and Aaron. My reason for starting this Blog is two-fold. The first reason is two have an outlet for my thoughts on church leadership from the perspective of an elder from a small town traditional church as it grapples with change from within and outside the church. Secondly I wanted to share my personal struggle as a Christian man to live the life that God has called us to live. My hope is that it will encourage others.
Why Flower Hill? Well I grew up on a hill in a small town. In my town when you say your from Flower Hill it usually indicates that your poor, rough living, simple. I have found it to be a special place to live, where people are for the most part poor, rough living and simple. But there is a sense of community. Anyone just passing through just wouldn't see the things I see.
Why? Because they don't see it the way that I do. I am simple, I don't like complicated, long winded babble. Just get me the bottom line.
So how does this connect with church leadership? I read and hear so much about what the church should or should not be doing. Much has been written on "doing church". Doing it better, doing it smarter, the latest craze, small groups, large groups, small churches, mega churches. It just goes on and on. Where I believe we have to get to is putting down all the other books, and pick up the best church growth book out there, your Bible. You see until we stop "doing" church and start "being" the church we will always come up short. But how do we move our traditional churches from where they are to were they need to be? There lies the problem.
More on that later. If you do come across this blog I hope you enjoy it.
But understand...I'm from Flower Hill.

No comments: